Editor-in-chief “Psychiatry” journal,
Academician of RAS
June 24 2015
on the оrder of peer reviewing papers received for publication in scientific-practical “Psychiatry” journal
1. “Psychiatry” journal is a peer reviewing edition. A peer reviewing is necessary for attainment and maintenance of high quality of papers. The aim of peer reviewing is expert evaluation of quality and originality of papers, submitted for publication, within the framework of scientific publishing activities.
2. All the papers received by the editorial staff undergo peer reviewing in accordance with existing order. Articles sent by academicians and corresponding members of RAS and RAMS are the exception to the general rule.
3. Peer reviewing papers is carried out by the members of Editorial Board, or by invited outward peer reviewers, Doctors of sciences, or Candidates of sciences. The peer reviewers should be acknowledged specialists in clinical, biological, and organizational psychiatry, as well as fundamental neurosciences. Besides over the last 3 years they must have publications in this research area.
4. Concrete decision of sending to peer reviewing is made by editor-in-chief after discussion with the members of Editorial Board. All the peer reviewers give their consent to reviewing.
5. According to Publishing ethics resource, the peer reviewers are responsible for:
- evaluation of the importance of the offered paper and its correspondence to the current state of the studied problem;
- check of the manuscript for formulation of the aim, solid reasons for the chosen methodology and procedures of examination, including statistical methods of data processing;
- evaluation of solid reasons for conclusions of work, originality of the study and the novelty of the obtained data;
- control of indication of the sources of information;
- assessment of personal contribution of manuscript’s author to the solution of the considered problem is carried out as an obligatory element of review;
- demonstration of objectivity and immediacy;
- observance of confidentiality;
- observance of Code of ethics, exposure of plagiarism and other unethical acts
- conflicts of interests determination;
- making general conclusion choosing one of the three variants: 1) recommend sending to the press; 2) abstain from publication; 3) return the paper as requiring improvement to the authors. As regards points 2 and 3 it is advisable to give additional motivation of corresponding conclusion for the authors and recommendation for revision of the manuscript;
- assistance in making publishing decisions.
6. Open and unilateral blind peer reviewing is used in “Psychiatry” journal, when the reviewers know, who the author is, while the authors don’t know who the peer reviewers are. As a rule, two peer reviewers are got involved in the work. Authors are given the opportunity to name undesirable peer reviewers due to conflict of interests.
7. Sending the paper to the reviewer is accompanied with a letter, signed by the executive secretary on the form of the “Psychiatry” journal, where the date of presenting the review is given (3 weeks, as a rule).
8. At the editorial board sitting decision is made according to the results of peer reviewing on placing the article in the journal, refusal of publication, or the necessity to introduce changes in accordance with the remarks of the reviewer. The author is given anonymous text of the review with an attached cover letter. After introduction of changes the article is sent to the reviewer once more with a cover letter. The paper sent to the editorial board after completion undergoes careful expert evaluation. If the paper meets all the requirements as a scientific publication, has positive review, receives positive opinion of the editorial board, the paper is included for publication. The author is informed about it. In a case of refusal of publication, the author is informed about the motives of declining. The excluded paper cannot be sent for repeated consideration.
9. The reviews are stored in the publishing house and editorial office not less than 5 years. The copies of the reviewers are sent to the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation, if corresponding request is received.
10. The regulations on peer reviewing were considered and approved by the editorial board of “Psychiatry” journal sitting June 24, 2015.